We are seeking a high quality updated translation of the New Testament into Tok Pisin.
Although we prefer to work in local languages, many languages are shifting to Pidgin. A recent translation of the Bible into Pidgin would be very helpful for people in the Finisterre Mountains that speak Pidgin as their first language.
The ideal translator or translation team:
- Has experience in translating into a Papua New Guinea language, preferably the entire NT, but minimally 30 chapters of narrative, and 30 chapters of epistles.
- Willingness to get to know the Pidgin as spoken by speakers of the Finisterre-Huon phylum, so that this translation, though usable in all of PNG, would favor the Pidgin as it is spoken in this part of the country.
- Self-motivated, reputation for being thorough, willing to form a team of nationals and expats to produce a faithful translation
- Is in agreement with the philosophy of translation as presented in “One Book, Many Translations” by Dave Brunn.
- Willing to be be the granted exegetical decision making authority, and willing to footnote alternate renderings deemed necessary by the board of FV. The decision of which rendering goes into the main text and which rendering is foot-noted is yours, but the decision to include alternate renderings is the responsibility of the board of FV.
We are eager to work with other organizations, and are open to a secondment if that is helpful.